How to set up an email account in iPad / iPhone
Before You Start
- You need to know the name of your domain (e.g. yourdomain.com ), email address (e.g. email@example.com) and email account password.
- Your iPhone/iPad needs to have a data plan with your telephone carrier (or, be connected via WiFi) and be able to access the internet - test this first by opening a web page
- If you are also checking this email account from another computer, that computer should be configured to "Leave emails on server", otherwise your iPhone/iPad will only show emails that haven't yet been downloaded by your other computer.
Adding An Email Account
- Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Under Accounts, tap "Add Account..."
- Tap "Other" then "Add Mail Account"
- Enter New Account information:
- Name: Your name as you want it to appear when somebody receives an email from you
- Address: Enter your full email address
- Password: Enter your email account password
- Description: Enter a descriptive name for this account, such as your email address
- Tap "Next"
- Next, for the server type, tap "IMAP"
- Enter Incoming Mail Server details:
- Host Name: Enter yourdomain.com.au
- User Name: Enter your full email address
- Password: This should already be filled out with the one you entered earlier
- Enter Outgoing Mail Server details:
- Enter the same Outgoing Mail Server/SMTP details as you did for Incoming Mail Server, including the password.
- Tap "Next" / "Save"
- "Cannot Verify Server Identity" may display on the screen - tap "Continue"
- Tap "Next" / "Save"
- You may receive an error "account verification failed" and a warning that the account may "not be able to send or receive emails" tap "Next" again
- In the mail settings, tap back into the account you just created, scroll down to the Outgoing Mail Server section, and tap "SMTP"
Select the host name you previously entered yourdomain.com, and:
- Set it to "On"
- Hostname: yourdomain.com
- Username: Your email address. Please Note this is NOT optional
- Password: Your password. Please Note this is NOT optional
- Set Use SSL to "on" (if it isn't already)
- Authentication should say "Password"
- Set the Server Port to 465 (instead of 25)
- Tap "Done"
- Note: If you ever change your Outgoing Mail Server back to your telephone carrier's server, you may need to change the Server Port back to 25 however we recommend you call them for their instructions about how to send email through their server/s.
On the home screen, tap "Mail" to view your email.
Was this answer helpful?
When adding an email account, you will be asked to specify an Outgoing Mail Server or SMTP...
To set up an email account from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) When you set up an email...
It's important to note: this is a NEW account set-up process Open Entourage. In the First...
These instructions apply to Zimbra Desktop 7. If you have another version of Zimbra Desktop, the...
These instructions apply to Microsoft Outlook 2003. If you have another version of Outlook, the...